Thursday, January 12, 2006

Exorcising the Demon - Part I

------------------------------------------------

I was out of breath by the time I reached the 88th step. It did not surprise me. It takes very little to knock the breath out of me. What surprised me was that I made it till here. I looked down from the 3rd floor, and heard the hollow,taunting laugh followed by the sickening tippity-tap sound of bone meeting the polished marble steps. It was still there, and gaining fast. Mortal fear reared it's desperate head once more. "Concentrate" it told me, " just a few more steps and then a dash to the desk". Tearing my eyes away from the cold gaze of death I bounded up the remaining 20 steps, ignoring the searing pain in my legs from running a whole kilometer, and climbing up those 88 steps which assumed humongous proportions with each step.

Finally, the third floor, another hundred meters or so to safety. I plucked up some courage and stole a glance back just in time to see the horrifying bag of bones and putrid flesh rounding up last fleet of stairs. Not wanting to contemplate on the consequences of not making it in time I looked away for one last time and sprinted down the corridor which wore a deserted look of foreboding. To my right the elevator doors opened and closed invitingly,with its lights flashing on and off in tune. Ignoring them I rounded the corner into the vast hallway. I was halfway there. The sick tapping increased in urgency and intensity, which meant that it was not far off. Not that I dared to look back now. Not now when I was almost there. At that very moment my desk came into view. Twenty meters more. I willed myself on. Driven by pure adrenaline and the vile breath of the creature on the nape of my neck I pushed myself on. 15, 10,5..... Almost there. I heard the hollow laugh once more, and looked back to see the demon crouched low like a hungry cat ready to pounce on its hapless prey. "Dont give up", the voice in my head was back, "You can't give up", it screamed at me. And then it happened......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buddy, if no pain then no gain. Each time u do, u prove that u r some thing.....

Anonymous said...

what happened?????What happened???????????? man, u keep the reader at the edge of the seat.....not joking :-) :-)

Anonymous said...

My comments are at

http://www.paperboy.nl/index.cfm?PID=BDF71C56-9F7E-5147-47287516D71730F4

Anonymous said...

Sumod I have some doubts.

a. You are running to your desk (as in work ?)
b. what are you running from? or rather who is driving you to run?

the story is captivating coz i want to know where it is going :) so do continue writing